Recently announced on the WotLK forums was the intention to change many of the racial abilities (not the priest racial spells or the racial starting stats, just the race abilities everyone gets).
Each race has four racial abilities, except for humans who have five (… like in D&D), and blood elves who currently have three (which is likely not a bug … or you could just consider their fourth racial ability to be the ever-popular “I am horde and get to look pretty!” ability.).
Here is how things shape up for priestly races:
Note: If I have inadvertently left anything out, it is because the racial is completely irrelevant to priests and was subsequently overlooked, or the racial change has yet to be announced.
- Gift of the Naaru: A mana-free heal with a 1.5 sec. cast time that restores a fair amount of health over 15 seconds. The amount healed is increased based on the caster’s Spell Power or Attack Power, whichever is higher. This ability does not lose casting time from taking damage. Cannot be cast in shadowform. 3 minute cooldown.
It was buffed to scale with spell power/attack power and to not lose casting time.
- Shadow Resistance: reduces the chance to be hit by Shadow spells by 2%.
This was changed from being +10 shadow resistance. It is comparable at level 70, but a buff for characters higher than 70.
- Inspiring Presence: Chance to hit enemies with spells in increased by 1% for you and everyone else in your party.
- Gemcutting: Gives you a +5 skill bonus to your jewcrafting skill (if you are a jewelcrafter). This also raises the level cap of the skill.
- Frost Resistance: reduces the chance to be hit by Frost spells by 2%.
This was changed from being +10 frost resistance, a buff for characters higher than 70.
- Gun and Mace Specialization: increases gun, mace, and two-handed mace skill by 5.
The mace piece of this is new. This racial is still useless to priests.
- Stoneform: An on-use ability that will instantly remove any poison, bleed, and/or disease effect, as well as provide immunity to those effects and increase armor by 10% for 8 seconds. 3 minute cooldown.
- Treasure Finding: Allows you to track chests on the mini-map (only one tracking effect can be active at a time).
- The Human Spirit: Spirit stat is increased by 5%.
It has been decreased from 10%. This was an expected change.
- Perception: Bonus of one character level of passive stealth detection.
This used to be an on-use ability with a cooldown. The increase to stealth detection is weaker than before, but is now always-active.
- NEW: The Fall of Humanity: Feign death which may trick enemies into ignoring you. Any threat is restored versus enemies still in combat upon cancellation of this effect. 5 min cooldown.
The mechanics work almost exactly like the hunter ability “Feign Death” (except for the restoration of threat at the end of the effect).
- NEW: Human Supremacy: “The dominance of Humanity is evidenced by having one more racial bonus than normal. Actually, make that two counting this one.”
This is just a tooltip, and has no actual functionality. It just acknowledges the extra ability humans get.
- Mace and Sword Specialization: Increases skill with maces, two-handed maces, swords, and two-handed swords by 5.
Unchanged, and useless to priests!
- Diplomacy: Faction reputation gains are increased by 10%.
- Quickness: reduces the chance to be hit by melee or ranged attacks by 2%.
This has been buffed. It used to just grant +1% dodge.
- Nature Resistance: reduces the chance to be hit by Nature spells by 3%.
This is a decent buff from the +10 nature resistance night elves currently get.
- Shadowmeld: This ability will stealth your character when used (as long as you do not move, cast, attack, or take damage).
- Wisp form: When dead, you appear as a “wisp” instead of a ghost and move 50% faster.
- Mana Tap:…
This effects of this racial ability have been rolled into the new version of Arcane Torrent. Thus, “Mana Tap” has been removed.
- Arcane Torrent: Restores 15 energy, 15 runic power, or 6% of mana (self-only). Silences up to four enemies within eight yards for two seconds. 5 minute cooldown.
This was given a prohibitive cooldown, especially in PvP (it used to be 2 minutes). The returns have been slightly increased. You no longer have to worry about building up Mana Tap charges, though.
- Magic Resistance: Reduces the chance to be hit by spells by 2%.
This use to be a +5 resistance to all schools of magic. This is a considerable buff.
- Arcane Affinity: Gives you a +10 skill bonus to your enchanting skill.
- NEW: The Voodoo Shuffle: Reduces the duration of all movement impairing effects by 15%.
Nice for PvP!
- Berserking: An instant-cast self-buff that grants a 10%-30% increase in casting speed depending on the amount of health you have on casting (more health missing means faster casting speed).
The mana cost of this ability has been removed! It is otherwise unchanged.
- Passive Health Regeneration: Increases your natural health regeneration by 10%. It also allows for 10% of your health regeneration to continue during combat. This works out to be a pretty small amount, but every little bit helps.
- Beast Slaying: Increases your damage done to beasts by 5%.
- Shadow Resistance: Reduces the chance to be hit by Shadow spells by 1%.
This used to be +10 shadow resistance. It has been nerfed. (Blizzard stated that it was changed so that undead didn’t appear to have overpowered racials.)
- Will of the Forsaken: Removes any fear, sleep, or charm effect. 2 minute cooldown.
It will no longer remove effects for 5 seconds. When activated, it will only break effects you are currently under.
- Cannibalize: Will let you regain 7% of your total health every 2 seconds for 10 seconds by “feeding” on a nearby corpse of a humanoid or undead. 2 minute cooldown.
- Underwater Breathing: Increases the amount of time you can stay underwater without surfacing to 3 minutes (all other races only have 1 minute).
If you want to know more, or to see the changes for all the races, please check out the official forum post about this subject.