Love is in the Air is a holiday set to go from February 11th to the 15th. It occurs right around St. Valentine’s Day, and focuses on giving and receiving tokens of adoration to NPCs and other players.
From the official site:
Something is in the air in the major cities of Azeroth. Some call it love, and some just call it friendship and admiration. Whichever it is, many guards and townsfolks now spend their days giving and receiving tokens and gifts to other amorous citizens.
The more skeptical, however, are suspicious of the strange “love sickness” clouding the hearts of so many. Will this widespread occurrence be simply taken as a recent outbreak of amore? Or will our brave adventurers find a sinister plot behind the source of this plague of passion? Only time will tell…
Love Tokens and Gifts:
Innkeepers in the major (non-TBC) cities sell Love Tokens for you to give away. They also sell cologne and perfume, which give you a 60 minute buff allowing you to give tokens to NPCs.
- Use cologne if you want to give a love tokens to female NPCs.
- Use perfume if you want to give a love tokens to male NPCs.
NPCs in the major (non-TBC) cities with hearts over their heads are viable targets to receive a love token from you.
The first time you give a Love Token, you will receive a Gift of Adoration, and the debuff “Adored.” The “Adored” debuff just prevents you from getting another Gift of Adoration until it has expired. It lasts an hour.
A Gift of Adoration can contain:
- A variety of chocolates that provide different buff when eaten (soulbound).
- A candy bag containing Heart Candy. The Heart Candy are non-edible non-soulbound items that have cheesy love phrases on them. You can give these to other players; they serve no purpose otherwise.
- A Handful of Rose Petals which you can throw on a player to cause it to shower petals on him/her for a short time.
- A Shaft of Silver Arrows, which you can use at other players to give them a mini-cupid-esque goblin non-combat pet for ten minutes.
- A Truesilver Shafted Arrow, which you can use to summon a mini-cupid goblin pet for yourself.
- A Love Fool, which it just like a target dummy made by engineers.
- Unbestowed Frienships Bracelets, which you can use at other character to remove a “Heartbroken” debuff (see below).
- And a Lovely Black Dress (very rare!). This is a highly coveted item. It is a very classy looking dress. It never becomes soulbound, even if you equip it. There are other dresses from this holiday (see quest section, below) that look similar to this, and come in blue, purple, and red (though, those are all soulbound items). You’ll probably be able to find Lovely Black Dresses on the Auction House around the time of this holiday for a good chunk of change (200g+). They are very hard to come by. Many players will focus themselves on getting as many Gifts of Adoration as possible during the Love is in the Air holiday just for a increased chance at this dress.
- Edit: Also, new this year is the Romantic Picnic Basket (more info).
If you try to give a Love Token while you have the debuff “Adored,” then you will get a Gift of Friendship instead of a Gift of Adoration.
A Gift of Friendship includes items that can be combined (from stacks of 5) and turned into gift collections specific to the city where the items came from. You have to receive Gifts of Friendship from both guard and non-guard NPCs in order to complete the city’s gift collection. Gift Collections will give you a buff when completed (+30 to a stat, such as stamina, agility, etc.).
If you get gift collections for all three of your faction’s (non-TBC) major cities, than you can combine them into a faction-specific gift collection that can be turned into Kwee Q. Peddlefeet, a goblin cupid NPC who is hanging around each of your (non-TBC) cities’ leaders (Thrall, King Bronzebeard, etc.). Turning in a faction gift collection will get you a package with Gift of Adoration items in it and will add a point to that city leader’s tally. Whichever city leader (for each faction) ends up with the highest tally at the end of the holiday will end up having Kwee Q. Peddlefeet stick around him/her for another week. You can speak to Kwee Q. Peddlefeet at any time to see the current rankings.
Tip: You can use the /kiss emote at Kwee Q. Peddlefeet to get an hour long health buff (+20 stamina).
Sometimes an NPC will reject your Love Token advances and you will be given a debuff called “Heartbroken.” Being heartbroken lasts an hour, and prevents your from giving out any more Love Tokens. The debuff can be removed early if another player gives you a Friendship Bracelet (obtained from Gifts of Adoration). (Note: you cannot give yourself a Friendship Bracelet.)
There are two major quests associated with the Love is in the Air holiday.
The first quest is a simple one where you need to speak to a certain NPC (there in one in each of your faction’s three main cities) and do a delivery quest for him/her (to Stormwind, for Alliance; to the Undercity for Horde). The Alliance Quest is called “Dearest Colara” and the Horde equivalent is called “Dearest Elenia.”
The second quest requires that you have completed the first one, and is called “Dangerous Love.” The Alliance version of this quest starts in Stormwind by the bank and the Horde version starts in the Undercity by the bank. Both will require that you will have to run a few errands in the city, then will send you to discover the source of the strange love sickness that has overtaken Azeroth. You will have to seek out Apothecary Staffron Lerent, who is behind Ravenholdt Manor in the Hillsbrad Foothills (head up to the manor from 74, 24 in Hilsbrad Foothills; directly after going through the cave to the manor, head south and follow the path past the manor around the edges of the mountain).
During the Love is in the Air holiday, four instance bosses will be dropping an off-hand item called “Bouquet of Red Roses“. This item is similar to the Handful of Rose Petals in that it will shower your target in a stream of rose petals. However, the bouquet is a permanent item with unlimited uses (though a 5 minute cooldown).
It is an uncommon drop from: Princess Moira Bronzebeard (Blackrock Depths), Archivist Galford (Stratholme), Lorekeeper Polkelt (Scholomance), and Illyanna Ravenoak (Dire Maul).